Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Barley Crusher added to the Trillium arsenal


The Barley Crusher finally arrived yesterday, so I can do some on-demand grain crushing instead of having it pre-crushed and staling if I don't get to my brewday right away. It will get its first workout this Saturday when I make ...another Russian Imperial Stout (surprise, surprise). (post hoc note...this RIS never got made...)
I went with the 7lb hopper vs. the 15lb hopper (the smaller one to the left), as I'm comfortable with taking the time to load the hopper more frequently to save a few $. I also liked that I didn't have to fabricate anything like I would for other grain crushers. The BC would be essentially ready to go out of the box. I'll power it with my cordless drill. The knurled rolls have a pre-set gap, and have read that people get great efficiency at the factory setting, so I'll go with that to start. Good to know that I can adjust to tighter spacing if I ever need/want to.
I was putting together an order for a lot of specialty grain from Midwest Supplies (in preparation for the wedding brewing), so added the BC on to the order. I priced out the difference on this purchase between Midwest and Northern Brewer. The final tab put Midwest out front by ~$10, even given the flat shipping rate at Northern Brewer. What really put this over the edge for Midwest, was the greater selection of specialty grain and my good experiences with their products in the past.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails